International Game Developers Association
For the full help guide, check here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User's_Guide
In particular, the MediaWiki Metawiki's Wikitext examples are very useful.
These are usually the most common tasks:
For examples of most of these, click on "Edit" at the top of the page, to see exactly how each of the following formatting changes was made!
- Bold formatting: Surround the word with three apostrophes on each side: '''Bold'''
- Italic formatting: Surround the word with two apostrophes on each side: ''italic''
- Creating a link: Pick a word and surround it with double brackets: [[Thenewlink]]
- Linking to another page inside the wiki: Find out its name, and insert it into your page, surrounded by double brackets: [[online]]
- To get a page's name for a link, just navigate to the page and copy its title, as show at the top of the page (just below the tabs) to your clipboard
- Linking to a page outside the wiki. Either include the entire URL and it'll be automatically hyperlinked: http://www.google.com, or surround it with single brackets, in the format [ <URL> link name ].
- Changing the displayed text for an existing link. To make the text "Elonka" link to the page User:Elonka, use the "|" separator: For example, this: If you need any help, go ask [[User:Elonka | Elonka]]. would become: If you need any help, go ask Elonka.
- Making a bullet-point list: Start off each line with an asterisk. Note that the asterisk should be at the far left margin. If there are leading spaces, that's a different kind of formatting.
- Making a numbered list: Start off each line with a "#" sign:
- Line 1
- Subnumbered line
- Line 2
- Line 3
- Adding a horizontal spacer line: Just add a few dashes: "----" and the wiki will do the rest. You can also click on the button in the edit screen that has a dash on it.
- Adding a table of contents: This is automatic, once you have section headings. To turn the table of contents off, add the line __NOTOC__ somewhere to the page.
- Adding section headings: Surround your section header with "=" signs. The more "==" signs, the smaller the header:
==Header 2== ===Header 3=== etc.
Would look like this:
- Turning off wiki formatting. Surround the text with "nowiki" tags: <nowiki>[[brackets]]</nowiki>.
- Indenting text
- Place a ":" colon in the far lefthand margin. This line had one colon.
- This line had two colons.
The following HTML elements are currently permitted:
If there are any other techniques that you find yourself constantly looking up, just add 'em to this page!