International Game Developers Association
|Brian R. Wood|
| b. 1977-03-03
|External memorial page|
Brian R. Wood was the lead designer of the Company of Heroes series by Relic Entertainment in Vancouver, BC. Mr. Wood died in an accident with an out-of-control car on September 3, 2010 in Whitbey Island, Washington, sacrificing himself in a last-ditch effort to save his wife and unborn child by swerving so the driver's side took the full force of the impact. Mr. Wood was 33. He is survived by his wife, Erin, and his unborn child of six months.
A trust fund has been established to help care for Erin Wood and their child.
Relic also established the Brian Wood Memorial design Internship in January 2011.
A Colorado native, Brian Wood was known for his adventurousness and leadership abilities as a child. His first major title was Kohan II: Kings of War for TimeGate Studios, and he later served as lead designer on the PC adaptation of Axis & Allies, also at TimeGate. Since 2006, he had served as a designer, and later lead designer for the Company of Heroes series.
He also sang as part of the Espiritu Choir in Vancouver.
- Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor (2009), Lead Designer
- Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts (2007), Design Supervisor
- Company of Heroes (2006), Designer
- Company of Heroes (Collector's Edition) (2006), Designer
- Axis & Allies (2004), Lead Design
- Kohan II: Kings of War (2004), Additional Design, Voice Talent
- Relic Software Statement
- The Province Obituary
- Kotaku Obituary
- Kotaku Trust Fund Article
- Seattle PI Obituary
- Brian Wood Memorial design Internship
There is a comment from one of Mr. Wood's former colleagues as well as from fans and readers available on the Kotaku Obituary.