Online Games SIG
International Game Developers Association
Welcome to the IGDA Online Games SIG project! You are welcome to read everything here, and also participate by adding your own changes or new information.
The Online Games SIG is a forum through which the community of online games developers can share, learn, and advance their craft. The SIG predominantly addresses games that utilize the key feature of the Internet, namely connectivity. In most cases, these games will be multiplayer, competitive or cooperative, persistent world or session based. Online games contain all or some of these core elements: community, connectivity, frequent content updates from the studio or the audience, interactivity between players, persistence of user status or virtual possessions, and recurring revenue streams beyond traditional retail channel distribution.
For more information, please see our expanded Charter
Online SIG Forum
- Online SIG Forums — Join our discussions here!
- Join the IGDA Online Games SIG Mailing List! C'mon in and say, "Hello!" We are looking for volunteers to help with publications and more!
- Please visit Online Games SIG Steering Committee for a list of previous members
Current members of the Executive Steering Committee, 2009–2010:
- Elonka Dunin, Chair (Simutronics Corp.)
- Gordon Walton (Bioware)
- Terri Perkins (Funcom)
- Steven Davis (Secureplay)
- Chris Hood (Biohag)
- Erin Hoffman (HumanNature)
- Anthony Castoro (Heatwave Interactive)
- Jeremy Nusser (Vindicia)
Steering Committee Conference Calls
- Conference Call Notes — Notes from monthly steering committee conference calls.
- Online Games Directory - If you don't see your own online game listed, feel free to add it!
- Online Games SIG: Recommended Reading — A list of books and articles of interest to Online Games Developers.
- Online Games Developers - If you don't see your own company listed, feel free to add it!
- Online Games Publishers - If you don't see your own company listed, feel free to add it!
Jobs in the Online Game Industry
- Jobs in the Online Game Industry - Do you know of a good resource to recommend to someone who's looking for a job, or looking for good applicants? Please add it to this page.
Online Gaming Conferences and Events
|1-May-09||Digital Hollywood||Santa Monica, CA||Gaming||http://www.digitalhollywood.com/LASpring09Agenda.html|
|1-May-09||GDC Canada||Vancouver, BC||Gaming||http://www.gdc-canada.com/|
|1-May-09||Login Conference 2009||Seattle, WA||Gaming||http://2009.loginconference.com/index.php|
|1-Jun-09||Social Networking Conference||San Francisco, CA||Social Media||http://www.socialnetworkingconference.com/|
|1-Jun-09||E3 Expo||Los Angeles, CA||Gaming||http://www.e3expo.com|
|25-Jun-09||Social Networking Conference||Los Angeles, CA||Social Media||http://www.snc2009.com|
|21-Jul-09||Casual Connect 2009||Seattle, WA||Gaming||http://www.casualconnect.org/|
|1-Aug-09||Building Blocks 2009||TBD||Gaming||http://www.digitalhollywood.com/BuildingBlocks.html|
|1-Sep-09||NY Games Conference||New York, NY||Gaming||http://www.nygamesconference.com/|
|1-Sep-09||Engage! Expo (formerly Virtual Worlds)||San Jose, CA||Virtual Worlds||http://www.virtualworldsexpo.com/|
|14-Sep-09||GDC Austin||Austin, TX||Gaming||http://www.austingdc.net/|
|23-Oct-09||Virtual Goods Summit||San Francisco, CA||Virtual Goods||http://www.vgsummit2009.com/|
|23-Oct-09||GameX Games & Media Expo||Philadelphia, PA||Gaming||http://www.gamexpo.us/|
|Nov TBD||Independent Game Conference||Los Angeles, CA||Gaming||http://www.igcwest.com/|
|Jan-10||Social Networking Conference||Miami, FL||Social Media||http://www.snc2010.com|
|Apr-10||LA Games Conference||Los Angeles, CA||Gaming||http://www.lagamesconference.com|
|Mar-10||Engage! Expo 2009 (formerly Virtual Worlds)||New York, NY||Virtual Worlds||http://www.engageexpo.com/speakers/call.html|
|Mar-10||SXSW||Austin, TX||Interactive Media||http://sxsw.com/interactive/trade_show|
|Mar-10||Worlds in Motion Summit 2009 (at GDC 09)||San Francisco, CA||Interactive Media||http://www.worldsinmotion.biz/2008/10/worlds_in_motion_summit_2009_o.php|
|Mar-10||GDC San Francisco||San Francisco, CA||Gaming||http://www.gdconf.com/|
|Apr-10||Social Media Economics Conference||Los Angeles, CA||Social Media||http://www.econsm.com/|
|May-10||GDC Canada||Toronto/ Montreal?||Gaming||http://www.gdc-canada.com|
|May 10-13||LOGIN Conference||Seattle, WA||Online Games||http://www.2010.loginconference.com/|
|Jun-10||E3 Expo||Los Angeles, CA||Gaming||http://www.e3expo.com|
- bold indicates SIG gatherings held at these events.
Projects and Initiatives
You can contribute in several ways:
IGDA Online Games Quarterly
- The IGDA Online Games Quarterly newsletter is produced by the Online Games SIG, and has lots of current information on industry happenings.
- Suggest changes and additions to the Online Games Quarterly Editorial Calendar. What do you think the next focus of the Quarterly could be? What kinds of topics would you like to learn more about? Tell us!
OGSIG Member Survey
- Member Survey - We intend to survey our membership. Here is the basis of the questionnaire - a work in progress.
IGDA Online Games Podcasts
- Podcasts - We intend to produce and distribute informative podcasts with industry leaders in online games - a work in progress. If you have any ideas for topics or potential interviewees, please contribute here!
- Contribute to this wiki! Check the Quick Start Guide to create a free account and add information!
2007 Persistent World Whitepaper
- The 2007 Persistent World Whitepaper Project is now underway. Here is a starting point: 2007 White Paper Project
2004 Persistent World Whitepaper
The 2004 Persistent Worlds White Paper is available here.
Other white papers
Pretty much any information at http://www.igda.org/online/ should also be added somewhere to the wiki as well.
Mailing list archives
- We need someone to review the IGDAOnlineGames mailing list archives and pull important information into this wiki. For example, see the suggested page names in the next section, and either add information there, or create a new page. Or if you see information which should probably be added to this wiki, but you're not sure where to put it, add it to this page: /Information to be sorted
A project was started in March 2006, working with the Online Games SIG, the Writers SIG, and the Game Credits committee, to add and improve IGDA member bios at Wikipedia. If interested in helping, please check the Wikipedia Initiative page.
Global White Paper
Global White Paper (2011)
Feel free to change this page!
Are there more sections you'd like to see on this page or in this wiki? Feel free to add items to this list, by clicking on the "edit this page" link at the right (you may need to login first — see the Quick Start Guide if necessary):
If you are new to wiki databases, please check here for the Quickstart Guide on how to make your own user page, and learn how to edit pretty much anything you see in the wiki!