GWSIG Monthly Meeting Minutes/Meeting22
International Game Developers Association
Chris: Hello! I was expecting more people... shall we wait a few minutes?
Sande: Beth allen wants the meeting URL
Sande: soemone send her an IM?
Chris: I don't have here details for IM...
Chris: Hi Kim!
Chris: We seem to be short handed, but I guess we should just press on...?
Sande: yes go on...
Sande: sorry I'm getting bombarded with Ims
Chris: Not a problem... I was dragging my feet in case there were more people.
Chris: Well, no matter...
Chris: Hi Rich!
Chris: 1. GDC Group Gathering Agenda (Chris Bateman)
dansky: Hello, folks
Chris: Basically, I just need to know if we have any specific agenda to push at the group gathering this year, or whether we would like to treat it as an open consultation as we have done in previous years, in order to set our direction for the next year.
dansky: I'd like to have some emphasis on getting more folks involved.
dansky: And by "involved" I mean "actively participating/leading initiatives."
Chris: So perhaps, given that we already have a long list of initiatives, we take the list of initiatives and try to get volunteers for them?
Beth A. Dillon: We can also announce the survey responses as inspired by our last GDC
Chris: Also good! Will you be there?
Beth A. Dillon: As context for volunteer work that gets done
Beth A. Dillon: Sure will!
Chris: It would be great to report on successful initiatives, then sign people up for new initiatives. :)
Beth A. Dillon: Definitely
Chris: It would be good to have a step before that to introduce people and find out any issues they may have, as in previous years.
Chris: What other successful initiatives do we have other than the survey? There's the book, I suppose. We can plug that too. :)
Beth A. Dillon: I remember that being really hard last time
dansky: Any chance of scoring a microphone this year, or do we not think anyone will actually be around to cause environmental noise at 9 AM? :-)
Sande: hi Beth!
Beth A. Dillon: Suggestion for the introductions: </b>we have people meet and greet with the people immediately around them
Sande: I've updated the Hiring Hall initiative on the Wiki, btw
Beth A. Dillon: No one by one intro's except for the committee
Beth A. Dillon: Unless we have a smaller crowd and it's quieter and more secluded than last time
dansky: Seconded on mentioning the Hiring Hall as a successful initiative.
Chris: I don't think we can get a microphone, but I'm there at the beginning of the week this year, so I can try and grab one. Actually, I think we might have been allocated a room this year! (Checking...)
Chris: Yeah, Room 52 - so we have our own room for once.
Beth A. Dillon: If we're in a room, we'll be a lot better off
Beth A. Dillon: Nice!
Kim: Do you want the banner for that meeting?
Chris: Beth: why no one by one introductions? It forces everyone to make themselves known, which gets everyone invested. If we only introduce the committee, it becomes like a public committee meeting rather than a group gathering. What does everyone else think on this matter?
Chris: Kim: the banner would be great. Who has it before me?
Sande: the one on one intro's take so longg
Beth A. Dillon: Sorry, that was if we didn't have a room
Beth A. Dillon: I remember last time we had so many people that people stopped paying attention to one on one intros and were talking in the background Beth A. Dillon: </b>And it was very hard to hear
dansky: Maybe we can have folks introduce themselves as they speak, as opposed to "around the horn".
Beth A. Dillon: Yeah
Beth A. Dillon: I am all for round introductions (it's traditional even!)
Kim: Or maybe get there a bit earlier to do introductions/networking before the meeting starts.
Beth A. Dillon: But we need people to pay attention
Sande: Introduce as speak
Sande: basically they start intro'ing to the person next to them...
Sande: so yeah, they're speaking while other are speaking
Chris: It's true that at the last one we had too many people for introductions, but in previous years it has worked well. I guess I can judge the size of the crowd and if its too many, we can skip it.
Beth A. Dillon: And iike I said
Beth A. Dillon: Having our own room makes a huge difference
Chris: Ok, don't want to spend too much more time on this, so how about this as the general structure:
Chris: 1. Introductions of the committee. If its a small crowd, introduction of everyone.
Chris: 2. Reports of successful initiatives by the people mentioned... (looks back to work out who!)
Chris: 3. Sign up volunteers for existing initiatives.
Chris: 4. Take questions/open discussion Chris: </b>How does that sound
Beth A. Dillon: Sounds great!
dansky: 5. Take suggestions for new initiatives?
Kim: Sounds good.
WendyDespain: I'm back. sorry for the absense. had to take care of my dog.
WendyDespain: catching up now
Chris: Yeah, I meant that to be part of (4)...
Chris: Can I just ask to clarify the people who have successful initiatives to report on - is it Beth for the survey, Sande for the hiring hall, and me for the book?
Chris: In the meantime, I'm going to push onwards...
Chris: (2) Executive Elections? (Chris Bateman)
Beth A. Dillon: Should be unless someone else wants to speak to the survey
Chris: Basically, the question is: </b>do we want to hold elections for the executive sometime soon. We were supposed to discuss this around GDC, I remember, but I'm not sure what we decided on this before.
WendyDespain: well, I completed a redesign of the sig website, if we're giving out credit
WendyDespain: i think we can have elections after GDC if we want to
dansky: Add that to the list, definitely.
WendyDespain: I think if we do it at GDC, a lot of people will be left out because they couldn't attend
Beth A. Dillon: I'm flexible
Chris: Sorry, I want to make it clear - I'm not suggested elections at GDC -they'd be after.
Chris: It's rather the case: do we want to hold them?
dansky: After sounds good.
WendyDespain: this is what our constitution says, "Exec elections to be held within one month of GDC each year. Each committee member receives three discretionary votes; votes will be tallied (anonymously) by Jason Della Rocca or another IGDA appointee; the three candidates with the most votes are elected."
Chris: OK, sounds like it's already been sorted out then. :)
WendyDespain: yeah, let's not rehash stuff we've already done :-)
Chris: I guess we'll table this for the first committee meeting after GDC, and we can proceed directly after that meeting. I'll talk to Jason about it at GDC.
WendyDespain: sounds good
Beth A. Dillon: Okay
Chris: Let's take this opportunity to discuss the date of the next meeting.
Chris: (Earlier than usual, but...)
Chris: Wednesday March 21st? Is that okay?
WendyDespain: works for me dansky: </b>I'm good with it.
Sande: I never knwo my sked
Sande: I'll be in Austin though for sxsw
Kim: I may not be able to make it. I might be going to the ICE Summit (interactive content conference in Toronto).
Beth A. Dillon: Works
WendyDespain: the 14th might be better if it's conflicting with conferences
Chris: It's too soon after GDC for me - I'm moving internationally, so I need the week after GDC to do things like find somewhere to live.
Kim: If the 21st works better for everyone, I can always catch up by reading the transcript.
Chris: We always have this problem with scheduling meetings - as long as we have a quorum, I think that's more important than trying to find a date that works for everyone.
Sande: I'm definitely at sxsw then... it runs til the 18th
Chris: Til the 18th? So you're free for the 21st?
Sande: a lot of ppl flying to austin after GDC
Beth A. Dillon: Wow
WendyDespain: ok, the 21st it is
Beth A. Dillon: 14th is my birthday...
Chris: Sure - I'll update the agendas...
Beth A. Dillon: Time flies
Sande: yeah, Austin, same speakers, even
Chris: OK, that brings us to AOB.
Chris: Rich - you have something I believe?
dansky: Quarterly stuff - we need to nail down A)the print run B)where we're getting it printed and C)who's handling it on-site at GDC.
dansky: We're less than two weeks out, and our editors are understandably getting a little antsy.
WendyDespain: i think you all know where I stand on it. anybody else?
Beth A. Dillon: Not it!
dansky: So, are we good with 1500, are we OK with J's assurance that he's got the best deal even with shipping involved, and who's going to take possession at the show? We need definitive answers.
Chris: 1500 is fine, we are OK with the deal.
Chris: I don't know who will take possession.
dansky: Is there anyone else who's going to be there for the entire show besides myself?
Kim: I will be.
WendyDespain: </b>I arrive Monday morning and leave Saturday morning, that's pretty much the whole time
Kim: I get in on Sunday.
Beth A. Dillon: Same dansky: </b>I get in late Sunday.
Chris: I arrive Sunday, but I have a tutorial I'm involved in running on Monday.
WendyDespain: is there a reason nobody wants to get involved with this?
Kim: Could they ship it to my hotel?
Kim: I'll pick it up on Sunday and bring them to wherever they're supposed to be on Sunday or Monday.
Beth A. Dillon: Game Edu SIG for me
dansky: They can in fact ship them to the hotel.
WendyDespain: 1500 newletters are going to be heavy. keep that in mind.
Kim: Okay. I'll contact you, Rich, about the logistics.
Kim: I'll bring a sherpa.
dansky: Sounds good.
Sande: shipping to hotel good idea
dansky: I've got a tutorial that I'm involved with as well, but once that is done I can get much more involved in shepherding these things out.
WendyDespain: I can also help. I just wanted to give some other people a chance to get involved.
dansky: Thank you, Kim.
Kim: No problem. :)
dansky: We'll need to get your hotel info to the folks handling the printing.
Chris: OK, I have to run. Can I hand the chair over to Rich?
Chris: I also need a list of new initiatives - I assume these are on the wiki?
Sande: I've got to run too... but Richard, you'll be in NYC next week, how long?
WendyDespain: yes, the wiki is up to date on initiatives as far as i know
dansky: Just for the day, Sande.
Chris: Thanks Wendy - must go. See you all at GDC - sorry to disappear!
dansky: No worries. See you at the show.
Beth A. Dillon: Byyye!
Sande: I'll keep the screen logged on, but I've got to leave too...
dansky: Take care, Sande.
Beth A. Dillon: Me too
dansky: Later, Beth.
Beth A. Dillon: Byyyyye!
Kim: Rich, I'm staying at the Marriott - I'll get the exact address.
WendyDespain: I guess that leaves me, dansky and Kim
Sande: I'm staying at the Pickwick
dansky: Kim: </b>Thank you. If you could get that to me in the next couple of days, that should be great.
Kim: Sure, no problem.
Kim: I'll phone them as well and let them know to expect the package.
dansky: Sounds good.
WendyDespain: I'm still concerned about our distribution methods. I won't be able to stand at the door of every writing-related session to hand them out.
WendyDespain: maybe when we see people in person we can guilt them into helping out
Kim: Maybe we can ask for volunteers on the list.
dansky: Agreed on both counts, especially since (hopefully) people on the list will be attending those sessions.
WendyDespain: Kim, I don't remember where you work
Kim: I'm at Silicon Knights.
dansky: We'll also need to figure out what to do with any leftovers.
dansky: (Logistics-wise, that is)
WendyDespain: do you have an actual job title of writer? or are you one of the unfortunates who has a bunch of things on their plate including writing?
Kim: I can bring some with me to the ICE Summit (if I attend).
Kim: Nope, actually hired as a writer.
WendyDespain: hey dansky, I thought you were taking them with you
Kim: There are three of us and one Head Writer.
WendyDespain: yay Kim!
Steve Jacobs: merde merde merde
Kim: Yeah, it's pretty interesting here.
dansky: That would be great, Kim. And I'll take the rest.
dansky: Hi, Steve.
Steve Jacobs: tech issues sent me to wrong "room" been sitting there for 45 minutes
Kim: Maybe Sande or someone going to SXSW can take some as well.
Kim: Hi Steve.
Steve Jacobs: Hey all
WendyDespain: we're glad you could make it Steve. Sorry you got lost.
dansky: It's OK. We've just been sitting here making fun of you.
Steve Jacobs: What can I help with, scanning transcript now...
WendyDespain: will you be at GDC?
Steve Jacobs: yah, sunday-Friday am
WendyDespain: Rich, I'm still concerned about having only one printing quote :-(
Steve Jacobs: Will ne at group gathering
Steve Jacobs: hope to crash roich's round table first day
Steve Jacobs: have my own round table 2 days
WendyDespain: great, maybe you can help distribute quarterlies
Steve Jacobs: 4 sure Steve Jacobs: </b>quarterlies in CRM booth??
WendyDespain: anywhere we can get them. i think we'll have plenty.
Steve Jacobs: they took them at sandbox so will likely do so again
Steve Jacobs: book copies tp give away at rich's round table??
dansky: If we can get giveaway copies, that's always a good thing. People love free stuff.
WendyDespain: it looks like Kim will be the Keeper of the Quarterlies, so maybe you can coordinate with her and be responsible for getting them to CRM
Steve Jacobs: rich you can send an e-mail to crm and just ask them to bring 3 extras for you to give away
dansky: Can you shoot me the appropriate email address?
Steve Jacobs: could try to gove away during ed conf too
Kim: Sorry, guys. I have to run. Rich, I'll get the hotel information to you.
Steve Jacobs: will search hd aND DO SO
Kim: Have a good day! Bye. :)
Steve Jacobs: ciao
Steve Jacobs: anything else I can help with??
Steve Jacobs: did we establish goals for working with ed sig??
WendyDespain: I think that fell off the agenda
dansky: I think most of the agenda fell off the agenda.
Steve Jacobs: ok I'll start with the script/design docs repository and see what else they suggest
WendyDespain: oh, you're the one who was going to spearhead that!
WendyDespain: did you get my email that there's a page on the wiki for it now?
Steve Jacobs: yah
WendyDespain: are you also involved in the curriculum conference at GDC?
Steve Jacobs: yah
Steve Jacobs: Beth is more involved than me though
WendyDespain: ok, it does seem reasonable to combine the two efforts
Steve Jacobs: for repoistory, I think so
Steve Jacobs: If they have other ideas I'll bring them to committee and we can figure out what to do from there
WendyDespain: you know what, I'm pissed off enough about this I'll stop by my favorite printing place today and ask them for a quote.
WendyDespain: oops, that wasn't supposed to be public. :-)
WendyDespain: i try to keep my levels of pissed-offedness to myself
Steve Jacobs: You want me to ask the on campus place too? If so just send me the specs
WendyDespain: yeah, a campus might be able to give us a good deal too
dansky: That would be all good.
WendyDespain: and Rich, push him on shipping costs if you can. 8 pages times 1,500 copies = HEAVY
dansky: Will do.
dansky: Do we have anything else, or are we wrapped up?
Steve Jacobs: SOunds like wrapped. WIll look for e-mail from wendy re the specs and see what campus can do.
WendyDespain: i think we're done here
Steve Jacobs: Cell phone xxx-xxx-xxxx in SH starting SUnday night. Looking forward to seeing y'all again
Steve Jacobs: sf, not sh :-)
WendyDespain: heh, seeya Steve.
WendyDespain: I'll add your number to the contact sheet.
dansky: Thanks, folks
Steve Jacobs: sheet on wiki or are you sending out??
WendyDespain: i was planning to do it in an excel sheet and email it to the mailing list like i did last year
Steve Jacobs: cool
Steve Jacobs: ciao...
Steve Jacobs: ...poof