Game Writers SIG/Initiatives/Education Outreach
International Game Developers Association
Education Outreach (in collaboration with the Education SIG)
With a collaborative nature in mind, this initiative involves working with the Education SIG to develop and promote game writing curriculum and program tracks in higher education.
Main Contact: Erik Pederson
Plan of Attack
Initiate discussion (Andy Walsh has started topic threads on the mailing list).
Compile results to the wiki concerning game writing education related topics (Andy Walsh will do this around July).
Develop initiative steps based on responses.
Collecting volunteers and making plans.
Curriculum Framework Discussion, IGDA Curriculum Workshop, Game Developers Conference 2007
- Game Writing Narrative Skills for Videogames by Chris Bateman, Editor
- Game Writing Handbook by Rafael Chandler
- The Ultimate Guide to Video Game Writing and Design by Flint Dille and John Zuur Platten
- Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams on Game Design by Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams
- Writing for Animation, Comics, and Games by Christy Marx
- Creating Emotion in Games by David Freeman
- Character Development and Storytelling for Games by Lee Sheldon
- Writing For Video Games by Steve Ince
- Hamlet on the Holodeck by Janet Murray
- Twisty Little Passages by Nick Montfort
- Half-Real by Jesper Juul
- Rules of Play by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman
- The Game Design Reader: a Rules of Play Anthology by Katie Salen and Eric Zimmerman
- First Person: New Media as Story, Performance and Game by Noah Wardruip-Fruin and Pat Harrigan
- Second Person: Role-Playing and Story in Games and Playable Media by Pat Harrigan and Noah Wardruip-Fruin
- A Theory of Fun by Raph Koster
- Adapting the Tools of Drama to Interactive Storytelling by Randy Littlejohn - Requires free registration